We have begun our search for a new archivist to replace the recently vacated Assistant Archivist position. This position is being re-titled "Archivist."
The position scope covers reference and outreach and the Archivist provides both public and technical support in the overall management of the archives. This is a full-time, year-round position reporting to the Center's Director, working closely with other senior staff and providing some supervision to student workers. The Legacy Center is located on the Queen Lane campus in East Falls.
The Legacy Center contains the records of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, Hahnemann Medical College, and their predecessor and successor institutions, including Drexel University College of Medicine. The Special Collections comprise materials documenting the history of women in medicine, women’s health and homeopathy. The Center is a core program of the College of Medicine’s Institute for Women’s Health and Leadership.
The Archivist is the key responder to reference requests and is charged
with establishing positive relationships with users and providing
productive research experiences:
- works on-site and remotely with researchers to provide professional reference service;
- oversees scanning and photocopying requests;
- manage rights and reproductions for requested collection materials;
- improves and maintains work flows.
The Archivist develops and maintains projects designed to broaden and
- maintains the Archives blog;
- utilizes electronic information and networking tools;
- develops and maintains physical and electronic exhibits or oversees such projects;
- supports history outreach efforts related to the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership;
- represents the Center at local, regional and national meetings.
The Archivist contributes to physical and electronic collections
- accessions incoming materials;
- retrieves new collection material;
- works with team in decision-making regarding processing collections;
- works with team in establishing electronic records protocols;
- assists in supervision of student workers.
Master's degree in Library and Information Science, History or Public
History or other appropriate degree, with an archives concentration
preferred. A minimum of two years archival experience is required.
Experience is necessary in conducting reference work in an archives or
library setting and in implementing archival description standards,
procedures and best practices.
Deft command of desktop computing skills and strong technical
orientation are necessary; demonstrated experience or familiarity with
various information systems and services including the application of
social networking tools in an archival setting is highly desirable. Experience blogging is also a welcomed asset.
The successful candidate will demonstrate initiative, excellent organizational skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to lift 40 lb. boxes.
SALARY: $40,000 - $44,000
Please send letter of interest, resume and 3 references to Margaret Graham, email@example.com
This announcement can also be viewed at www.drexelmedjobs.com – click search postings – and choose 'Archivist' from Job Title drop down box.